Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Stand By Me

Dave taught our family night last evening on...what else...service. It occured to me that I should point out something vital to my children: serving our family, friends, community and world is not about helping "those less fortunate", its about community. Its about being human. Because I know that anyone we do anything for this year, were the tables turned, would be doing the same for us. Because I know that one day it WILL be us...whether its death, disease, loss of job...the list is endless...one day it will be our turn to accept all the service that will be rendered to us. Its as simple as that. No one goes through this human life alone...no one can. We are constantly, inevitably dependent on each other. Its not about "haves" and "have nots", its about the on-going cycle of life that alternately moves us through moments of despair and helplessness to moments of compassion and ability to help. We lift where we stand. We give what we can. Knowing that when the next painful moment comes our way, someone will be there to stand by us.

My sister posted this on Martin Luther King Day of Service, and I think in doing so she said all of this a lot better than I am:

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741

No comments:

Post a Comment